Vendor: Virtus Resins
Single pack primer for substrates prior to Duraproof Topcoat Waterproofing System.
- Formulated to improve adhesion onto difficult substrates
- Deep penetrating low viscosity primer
- Used on all surfaces to bind the surface
- Reduces coverage rates
- Forms a sound substrate suitable for coating prior to Duraproof Waterproofing System
5 and 20 litre containers
- Ready for use on all Surfaces: Flat Roofs, Pitched Roofs, Weathered Asphalt and Bituminous Surfaces, Gutters, Concrete, Brickwork, Fibreglass and GRP, Felted Surfaces, Fibrous Cement Corrugated Cladding, Sheeting and Guttering, Metal (Galvanised, Ferrous and Non-Ferrous), Old Lead, Existing Painted Surfaces and EPDM.
- OSB/Plywood and Wooden Substrates (must be taped and fully scrimmed and an additional coat of Duraproof added) - see Typical Spreading Rates.
- Fibrous cement corrugated sheeting and skylight surrounds must be reinforced with scrim to laps and around ALL fixings. (See Scrim Recommendation).
- Can be brush or roller applied.
- Not for use on Walkways, Balconies, tanking, fish and aquatic ponds, plasticised PVC (Plastisol), new lead, slate or internal use.
DO NOT USE ON NEW BITUMINOUS PRIMERS/COATINGS OR SURFACES.
Cannot be used as a topcoat.
OSB/PLYWOOD AND WOODEN SUBSTRATES (MUST BE TAPED AND FULLY SCRIMMED):
Minimum Primer/m²– 0.2-0.33 lt (equivalent to 3-5 m²/l)
POROUS AND FRIABLE (Felted surfaces, Fibrous Cement, Concrete, Weathered Asphalt and Bituminous Surfaces, Fibreglass and GRP):
Minimum Primer/m² – 0.2-0.33 l (equivalent to 3-5 m²/l)
After priming a check must be made for the presence of pinholes and missed areas which can be rectified by applying additional coating as necessary to produce a sound substrate prior to over-coating.
Note: Spreading rates may vary depending on type and condition of substrate, environment and so on.
Duraproof Primer can take up to 1 day to cure but can be over coated when dry.
Ensure the substrate is free from old plant and debris
Cut all brick chases if required
The outlets and gutters must be free from obstruction
Do all your dirty work before cleaning!
Repairs to Substrate:
Including splits, cracks, joints, seals and crazed areas: repair faults in the surface by using a high quality waterproof mastic/filler. Apply Duraproof Primer followed by Duraproof Waterproofing System to repaired areas incorporating Virtus Reinforcing Scrim overlapping by 5cm.
All roof substrates require priming with Duraproof Primer before over-coating with Duraproof Topcoat. See Primer Guide for the following substrates. These surfaces should be cleaned prior to applying Duraproof:
Highly Porous/Friable Surfaces: Felted surfaces, fibrous concrete corrugated cladding, sheeting and guttering should be primed with Duraproof Primer (see separate technical data sheet).
Fibrous Concrete Corrugated Sheeting: Two coats of Duraproof Primer must always be applied to this substrate.
Concrete & Masonry: Prime with Duraproof Primer.
OSB/Plywood & Wooden Substrates:OSB/plywood, wooden substrates and insulation board must be treated with a 50mm wide strip of tape (any other tape must be adhesion tested before use). A continuous surface should be created before commencing with the application of Duraproof Primer (see separate technical data sheet).
Weathered Asphalt & Bituminous Surfaces: Prime with Duraproof Primer. Note: discoloration can occur over Weathered Asphalt or Bituminous Surfaces. An extra coat may therefore be required for decorative purposes. Do not use on new bituminous primers/coatings or surfaces.
Metal:All ferrous metals should be primed with Metal Primer (see separate technical data sheet).
Lead:No primer required on old lead, sheet/valleys. Do not use on new lead.
Aluminium, Copper & Galvanised Steel: These should be primed with 1 Pack Etching Primer (see separate technical data sheet).
Fibreglass & GRP: Prime with Duraproof Primer.
Previously Painted or Coated Substrates: Prime with Duraproof Primer.
EPDM: Prime with Duraproof Primer. Note: It is good practice to inspect and carry out adhesion tests on any existing coating or substrate prior to application of the coating.
Duraproof Technical Data Sheet
Safety Data Sheets